The primary purpose of the University is to provide a learning environment in which faculty, staff and students can discover, examine critically, preserve and transmit the knowledge, wisdom and values that will help ensure the survival of this and future generations and improve the quality of life for all.
The university seeks to help students to develop an understanding and appreciation for the complex cultural and physical worlds in which they live and to realize their highest potential of intellectual, physical and human development.
It also seeks to attract and serve students from diverse social, economic and ethnic backgrounds and to be sensitive and responsive to those groups which have been underserved by higher education.
To fulfill its mission, the university must:
1. Offer broad and balanced academic programs that are mutually reinforcing and emphasize high quality and creative instruction at the undergraduate, graduate, professional and postgraduate levels.
2. Generate new knowledge through a broad array of scholarly, research and creative endeavours, which provide a foundation for dealing with the immediate and long-range needs of society.
3. Achieve leadership in each discipline, strengthen interdisciplinary studies, and pioneer new fields of learning.
4. Serve society through coordinated statewide outreach programs that meet continuing educational needs in accordance with the university’s designated land-grant status.
5. Strengthen cultural understanding through opportunities to study languages, cultures, the arts, and the implications of social, political, economic, and technological change and through encouragement of study, research and service off-campus and abroad.
6. Maintain a level of excellence and standards in all programs that will give them statewide, national and international significance.
7. Embody, through its policies and programs, respect for, and commitment to, the ideals of a pluralistic, multiracial, open and democratic society
Founded as “an institution of the highest order” and guided by the motto Academic and Professional Excellence, the University will help solve the greatest challenges of the 21st century by: ·
- Accelerating our progress as an international leader in sciences, engineering, social sciences, health science, business, and music. ·
- Empowering our students to fulfill their academic and professional passions in a University that is diverse, welcoming, and inclusive for all students, faculty, and staff. ·
- Creating innovative connections among education, humanities, music, the social sciences, science, engineering, and health science. ·
- Strengthening support for a dynamic faculty dedicated to teaching, mentoring, research, clinical care, and the creative and performing arts. · Serving our community of alumni and friends through imaginative programs that enrich their lifelong relationship with the University and that expand our collective contributions to the world. ·
- Embracing our leadership position in Litoral, South West and the nation by making our community a model for partnership among academic, civic, cultural, health care, and business organizations.